A BRIEF GUIDE TO LETTING YOUR PROPERTY
The First Step - At PDQ we understand that deciding to rent out your property for the first time can be daunting. We are a small privately owned company with experienced staff who will be happy to walk you through the whole experience in a professional, friendly and efficient manner.
Having decided to hold on to your asset to generate an income we would like to give some simple advice into ways of letting your property as quickly as possible.
- Look after your property – a well maintained, clean and tidy property will always let well with less void periods and is more likely to attract and retain good tenants
- Respond to problems quickly with good, reliable trades people – building trust and a good relationship with your tenants pays dividends
- Think of your target market when renting. If you have property that is likely to be let to families with children, avoid fitting light coloured carpets
- Consider accepting pets. Tenants who have pets often make the best tenants. Damage is rare and a pet fee and higher deposit can usually be agreed
- Don’t discount people on benefits. Many people in the private rented sector have some form of financial assistance and make excellent tenants
- Remember your property remains yours but is not your home. Try to decorate/furnish to a good standard but not in a personal way. A blank canvas using neutral colours and practical flooring is by far the most practical and attractive option.
The Second Step - Decide how much involvement you want to have with the property. If, for example you are not local to the property or want PDQ to be the first contact for tenants, our Full Management Service will probably suit your needs. If, however you would like help in finding tenants and then to take over the management yourself, our Tenant Find Service would be most suitable. Our Rent Collection service is somewhere in the middle, and can be useful for local landlords who do not want to be involved with collecting rent, but are happy for tenants to call them direct with any issues.