Why PDQ / How to make the most of your home
*data used in this advert can be found at the foot of this page.
PDQ are licensed NAEA estate agents
In our experience, most people selling a home tell us they look for three things when choosing which agent to market their home:
1. How likely is that agent to actually sell my home
2. Will that agent achieve the best sale price?
3. How quickly will they find me a buyer?
What experienced sellers then go on to ask is:
1. How good are you at keeping a sale together once it's agreed?
2. What experience do you have in my local area?
3. Is that 'valuation' figure you've given me achievable? And, if so, show me examples of other comparable completed sales to substantiate it.
The Telegraph rated PDQ as one of the top 20 of "Britain's best small estate agents...who go above and beyond to help their customers."
PDQ are different. We believe that your home is number one, not just one of a number. So, unlike many of our competitors, we don't have hundreds of properties for sale. This means more of our customers' homes go on to successful completion, at better sale prices and, in less time than the majority of agents in West Cornwall*.
We have extensive experience of property selling and valuation across West Cornwall and of the many differing reasons and sensitivities for moving home.
New for 2017 - PDQ are the first agents in Cornwall to partner with the world leading 3D scanning technology company, Matterport of California to offer our clients 3D HDR virtual tours - Find out more here (PDF)
From moving up in the world or away to pastures new with a job, a larger home to accommodate a new baby, retirement planning and moving two families into one home; to downsizing, divorce and bereavement our team have the experience, life experience and training to ensure your experience is a positive one.
What we do for you:
Before we visit
· We'll ask you to tell as us much about your home and the reasons for selling as you are comfortable to share with us. The more information we have about your reasons for selling, the timescales involved and any other factors that are important to you, the better we can tailor a service that suits your individual needs.
· Once we know a little more about your property and needs, we will carry out detailed research of our extensive sales database, Land Registry, Rightmove and Zoopla data of similar property sales of homes like yours in the area. We will then compile this information, along with our own extensive knowledge into a personalised market report which we will bring with us to our appointment.
· We will also check our database of registered buyers and investors to assess likely demand and, for any buyers who might be prepared to pay a special price due to your homes location or features.
· Agents are required to declare any known issues or potential issues with a property before they start marketing and we are required to ask if there are any factors that might affect the sale of or value of your home such as neighbour disputes, rights of way or subsidence for example.
· To help make your sale easier to plan, we will compile and provide a transparent guide to the likely main costs of moving home, including a written quotation from PDQ, a conveyancer and, if required, a removal company.
· PDQ offers three sale packages. Our £875 (inclusive of VAT) SimpleMove package. Our award winning premium package and, for rather special properties, our exclusive Directors service.
· To ensure the greatest chance of selling at the best price, in the shortest time, your home needs to be presented in the best light by your chosen agent and this requires your help in presenting your home at its best when we come to advise you on price and, most importantly, when we arrive to take photographs. See below for our top tips.
At your property
· At your home, we'd love you to show us around. Tell us what's great about living there, the area and why you fell in love with it. We'll be happy to answer any questions you may have on how to make the most of your home, improve the likelihood of a sale and how to obtain the best price.
· We'll also use this time to identify any likely extra value we might be able to help you realise from your property (such as potential development)
· We'll discuss our marketing report with you and what your home might achieve as well as what we would recommend as the method of sale given your needs and circumstances (might auction be appropriate for example?)
After our visit
· We will confirm our conversation and advice with you by email and follow this up with a phone call to ensure we have answered all of your questions and to arrange an appointment to measure up, prepare floor plans, take photographs to prepare details ready for sale and order an EPC (if appropriate/ required)
On and immediately after being instructed to sell your home
· If we haven't already done so, we will arrange a mutually convenient time to visit to take photographs, draw a floorplan and laser measure room sizes for your property details.
· TOP TIP - Before we arrive to take photographs, ensure your home is looking at its best with windows and doors washed down, decking/ paths jet-washed, lawn mown, garden weeded and any clutter in the house tidied away followed by a deep clean and polish.
· Once our contract is signed we will ask for some proof of identification to comply with anti-money laundering legislation
· Within one working day, a brief eye-catching advert description will be written and posted on our website, Rightmove, other property portals as well as posting on our extensive social media network.
· We will also immediately contact those buyers we know will be most interested in your to encourage viewings.
· Full details will be produced once you have agreed the proof copy (usually 1-3 working days) and these will then be emailed out to the remainder of our mailing list and posted up to our website and the property portals.
· The 'golden fortnight' is much talked about in property and is a phrase that has held as a good bench-mark for many years. The initial two weeks after a property comes to the market are the most crucial and, often when the majority of homes that go on to successful completion are introduced to their eventual buyers. More reasons to ensure that the property is looking at its very best when it is first advertised.
· At PDQ we accompany all viewings during office hours and aim to accompany over 90% of those appointments that need to be arranged at weekends and after 5pm.
· We know that no-one knows more about your home than you and that information is often invaluable after a viewing has taken place. However, buyers tell us they feel more at ease to express opinions and concerns when owners are not present at viewings and, in our experience, owners often tend to either over-sell or, in typical British fashion, unnecessarily apologise for the condition of everything; putting off potential buyers in the process.
· Our property experts are trained how to effectively conduct successful viewings whilst listening out for positive signs, and handling any concerns positively and professionally
· You will receive feedback on any viewings within one working day (even if that is just to say we haven't heard back from the viewer yet)
· Every seven to ten working days, you will receive a marketing update call to discuss progress and any suggestions to increase your chances of selling. We may also send you a report on your property's activity levels on Rightmove.
· Once every four to six weeks, we will conduct a full marketing and price review of your property with you.
Offer and sale
· Any offer we receive, we will confirm in writing unless you tell us not to do so in writing (not to submit offers below a certain level for example)
· We will always try and find out as much information as possible about the prospective buyer in order to allow you to assess their value in more depth (buying position, any chain details and finances etc.). However, a word of caution. Often this information is usually given by third parties or from the buyers themselves and is not always as accurate as would be hoped for. For example; many buyers state, and honestly believe, they are 'cash-buyers' when in fact they will only be cash buyers once they have a mortgage arranged or, have completed on their house-sale
· Once an offer has been received, one of our trained negotiators will work with and advise you on how to achieve the best offer we can for you. This will be different for many buyers and is not always just about who is paying the most money but may also include details such as a quick completion or, whether carpets and curtains are included within the offer. We will always try and secure you the best offer and will advise you at every stage of the offer process.
· Once we have agreed an offer that you are happy to accept, it is often the case that this is when are skills and knowledge and experience are most called for as we work to ensure the correct forms have been sent out and received by all solicitors, that any mortgages are being processed in a timely manner and, that anything unexpected arising in the survey, searches or deeds is handled sensitively to help ensure the sale goes through to exchange and completion. We will also offer to obtain quotations from locally reputable removal firms.
Exchange and completion
· Success! Barring almost all scenarios excluding death, your property sale is now effectively home and dry.
· Unless you opted for our pay-up-front SimpleMove service, this is the point where we will submit our account.
· A few days before completion day itself, we will liaise with you and the buyers regarding key handover and explain any last minute details such as when solicitors expect to be able to sanction the release of keys.
*PDQ have consistently been in the top five best performing agents on the three criteria above since we opened in 2001. We are so confident of our results that we are happy to stand by ZooplaPro results on any given day using the following criteria
Postcode areas: TR10, TR11, TR12, TR13, TR14, TR17, TR18, TR20, TR26, TR27 All new property excluding commercial property. New instructions to completed sales. Average original asking price compared to final achieved price (checked against land registry data not Zoopla last advertised price when withdrawn data) and, average time on the market. Any statistics must be checked by an independent source for any properties that have been, or appear to have been, juggled which will invalidate any results.
*Data taken on the 12/11/2016 from open source data on Zoopla for the previous 12 months for the above postcode areas.
Average agents sold price on that date for the previous 12 months was £250,531.22 with an average time taken to sell of 13.4 weeks. By comparison, in the same period, PDQs' average sale price was £263,756.82 with an average time taken to sell of 8.2 weeks.